Glory and I are not a blood match which until recently would have meant that I could not donate to her directly. We would have gone into the paired match program. This is a program that matches donors who cannot donate to family members of friends to other donors who can match their family member and visa versa. In other words, If John Doe doesn't match his sisters blood type but I do and he matches my sisters blood type, we would cross donate. This is probably the best donation possible. The problem is with Glory and My Blood types we would have matches about 15% of the time over a year. Not very good odds of getting a kidney transplant going. The alternative is Glory can be treated with a combination of a one off shot a month before the surgery and a week of blood treatments just before the surgery to keep her blood from attacking my kidney. There is a small risk of her blood killing the kidney in the first few weeks but if she makes it past that point the life of the kidney should be normal. This is the decision we have made. The tentative surgery date will be July 29th, 2015 and as long as the blood work on Glory goes well that date will be firm. We will go through classes working through every part of donation and reception of a kidney over the next two months.I will spend much of the following months planning my after surgery walk across England from Saint Bees on the Irish coast to Robyn Hoods bay on the North Sea in support of Kidney donation and the National Kidney Foundation. I will try to keep you all up to date as things get put together for what I will in conjunction with the National Kidney Foundation call "The Walk for Life"
Hope all is well